Monday, March 10, 2008

March socks for a March


My mom's maiden name is March, so it's only fitting that she get the March socks from the Sock a Month KAL I'm participating in. These are knit using the toe-up sock recipe from Fleegle's blog. They are knit from fam-dyed, Shetland roving. It's my first sock yarn, but the second pair from this batch. I think I still have enough left for fingerless gloves, so that's gonna happen soon.

We also dyed some roving this weekend. We experimented with Kool-Aid this time. I don't think it'll be my first choice, but it's fun to do with the family and it was super cheap. I paid $.60/doz packets at Aldi. Here are the results.


We used grape, lemon/lime and berry (blue) for this one. It reminds me of hyacinths and lilacs because it has all different shades of pink/purple/green. We used some salt in the water to stabilize the purple and it really helped.

On this one we used some yellow food coloring to get the yellow because we didn't have lemon kool-aid. ut we also used more lemon/lime and more of the berry for the blue. It's very pretty and I can't wait to spin it. It's BFL again and that stuff just spins beautifully.

I know I promised some photos of the stash enhancement, soon!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the hyacinth colored dye job!!! Kool Aid - who knew? I've read that you can also dye your hair with Kool Aid but I don't know how long it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the socks. They are so Spring cheerful to me. I love the BFL in the green and blue and yellow. That is gorgeous. I really want to try some BFL but I need to spin up the rest of my Corridale first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't dyed any roving yet, but I love dying yarn. It is downright addictive. I love the yarn you used for your mom's socks. Interestingly, I also have a chest very nearly exactly like the one her feet are resting on.

    ReplyDelete

I can't figure out how to respond to comments because blogger is funkay. Thanks for leaving one anyway!